Friday, June 14, 2013

Day Deux in Paris

Today we had a rough start to the morning.  Mom woke up around five with the worst migraine.  After getting some sparkling water and a pillow we all went back to bed.  My alarm was set for eight in the morning.  We all had to wake up and take showers and meet Arlene our personal history book/guide at the Musee D'Orsay.  Due to my medicine my body was not feeling this morning.  Luckily we have a great friend and she agreed to meet us a little later.  We all rallied and got out of the house to meet Arlene at 10:30 only thirty minutes later than originally planned -- not too bad, I say.


Today I learned that my most favorite musium in the whole world is the Musee D'Orsay.  Every since I was little I have been in the love with Edgar Degas' Dancers collection.  But especially the Blue Dancers, 1893.    Clearly I am talking about this because this painting is there.  I got to see the whole collection!--the sculptures and paintings of dancers.  He was so amazing.  The detail and the movement that he caught was incredible.   I was in Ballerina heaven. I spent a very long time looking at each one and almost wept when I saw the Blue Dancers.  I know I am a total dweeb!




At the Musee D'Orsay I followed my parents and Arlene had some of the most amazing conversations I have had in a very long time.  We talked about the ebbs and flows of art and how restrictive it used to be.  I loved talking about the differences in what beauty used to be compared to what it is today.  However, one of the most interesting conversations Arlene and I had about nudity.  There is a painting L'Origine du monde that is the bottom half of a lady naked.  I was stunned and speechless.  I did not really like it to be completly honest.  Then I saw a photograph of a naked lady and it was beautiful in the way that it had been shot.  We talked about why it was that so many found one offensive and not the other.  It was facinating conversation.  


 I also got to see the famous Water Lilies, by Claude Monet.   Such an amazing painting to see up close and personal.   

But to continue on our journey.  We then walked from the Musee d'Orsay to lunch.  We had a lovely little lunch at a small cafe.  After lunch we walked to Cathedrale Notre-Dame.  Talk about breath taking.   Holy god!!! I was taken back by the work that the architect put into the Cathedral.  The architect was really an artist in himself.  The gargoyles and the statues that are worked into the building are truly something to be seen.  It was just so beautiful.   I wish that you could all just see it with me!   
A



Next, (shit this is sounding like my students essays.) we walked to Musee du Louvre.  So amazing we did not go inside but it was incredible just to see the outside! I know I am a dork and that it is a FICTION book but being there totally made me want to read The Da Vinci Code again.   I think that we will be coming back here with the boys so that they can also see how cool it is.  



After Musee du Louvre Arlene ditched us to go pick up wine and cheese.  ( I kid Arlene, that wine and cheese was amazing!)  From the Musee du Louvre we went to Jardines des Tuileries.  It is literally right in front of the Louvre.  It is a part of beautiful fountains and sculptures.  We took our time looking at the wonderful sculptures  and walking on the soft grass.  It was truly incredible! However, we may or may not have seen people very close to getting it on.  Oops!!  Paris is for Lovers.... 


We ended our night at Arlene's suite at this amazing hotel drinking wine and eating cheese with friends of my mom's and Arlene's from the NutraSweet days.   


All in All it has been a great day! 
Brother and Husband get here tomorrow so excited!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment